Most Orthodox Christians fast during Holy Week. In the days leading up to Easter, some foods do not have to be on the table of believers. In case you don’t know what to cook anymore, here are 11 soup or soup ideas to prepare while fasting.
What to eat during Passion Week. Lenten soups
Since many of us fast during this time, avoiding the consumption of foods of animal origin, we come to their aid with 11 variants of fasting soups. Lunch is not lunch if it passes without a bowl of soup or hot soup on the table. Also, this dish can work wonders for immunity. It is preferable that if we have eliminated meat from our diet, the food we eat is as rich in nutrients as possible.
So, here are 11 delicious Lenten soup and soup ideas:
- Creamy cauliflower soup. Ingredients: 300 g of cauliflower, one white onion, one potato, approx. 100 g celeriac, approx. 2 cups of almond milk, Himalayan pink salt (to taste) 2-3 cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger, pepper (to taste), ground coriander. (to taste) parsley. After cleaning the vegetables, we put them to boil. Then we drain them from the water and put them in the blender. Add the spices and almond milk and work until you get a creamy paste. Return the soup to the pot and add the chopped parsley. The whole operation takes about 20 minutes.
- Cream of potatoes. Ingredients: 800 ml of vegetable broth, 2 sprigs of basil, 1 sprig of sage cut in half, 2 sprigs of rosemary cut in half, 650 gr of peeled and diced potatoes, sea salt to taste. The preparation method is the same for all cream soups.
- Creamy lentil soup. Ingredients: 1 large carrot, 1 white onion, 1 red onion, 250 g of lentils, 1 slice of celery (about 150 g), 6 cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon of thyme, 2 bay leaves, the juice of 1/2 lemon, 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil, salt.
- Cream of pumpkin. Ingredients: 1/2 pumpkin, peeled and diced, 3 tablespoons of dried tomatoes in oil, 3 tablespoons of dried and ground peppers, enough water to give the consistency of a creamy soup, salt to taste, chilli (or chilli) to taste, 1 crushed clove of garlic, 2 tablespoons of hemp seeds, 1/2 bunch of finely chopped green parsley.
- Tomato soup with dumplings. Ingredients: 1 onion, 1 yellow pepper, 1/2 donut, 1 carrot, 7-8 large tomatoes from the garden, salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon of grated dry basil, green parsley, 3 tablespoons of oil, 1 tablespoon of tomato. For the gnocchi: 5 tablespoons of semolina, 2 tablespoons of white flour, salt, pepper, 5-6 tablespoons of water, 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley. We clean and chop the vegetables, then we boil some water in a pot, and when it boils we add the tomatoes. After a few minutes, take them out of the oven and let them cool, remove the skin and cut them into cubes. In another pan, heat some oil and let the other vegetables go. We choke them for about 2-3 minutes, then add 4-5 liters of water and boil for another 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and the rest of the spices and boil until all the spices are absorbed. When the soup is almost ready, lower the heat and add the gnocchi with a teaspoon.
Since there are definitely people who don’t like soups, we’ve also come up with six recipes for fasting, tasty and easy-to-make soups.
- Nettle soup with rice. Ingredients: 1 bowl of nettles, 1 onion, 1 carrot, 1/2 red pepper, 100 g of peeled tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of homemade tomato paste, 3 tablespoons of oil, 1 cup of rice, salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon of vegetables, borscht for acid. The preparation method is similar for all soups.
- Potato soup with pumpkin. Ingredients: 500 g of potatoes, 1-2 carrots, 1 parsley root, 1 suitable celery, 2 bunches of green onion, 3 bunches of lewshtean, 1 liter of borscht, 5 tablespoons of tomato juice, 1 tablespoon of oil, salt , pepper, egg (optional).
- Bean soup pods. Ingredients: 400 g of green beans, 3 potatoes, 1 chili pepper, 2 carrots, 1 parsnip, 1 onion, 1 cup of borsch, green beans, 1 cup of tomato juice, 1 tablespoon of oil, salt.
- Green bean chips. Ingredients: 1 large jar of canned green beans or ½ kg fresh, 1 large onion, 1 red pepper, 2 carrots, 1 parsnip, 1 parsley, 1 small celery, 1 courgette, ½ kg of tomatoes, tomato paste, borsch, vegetables, (fennel, dill, parsley), 1 teaspoon of sweet paprika, 1 teaspoon of curry, vegetables.
- Zucchini soup with green beans. Ingredients: 1 large courgette, 2 onions, 1 carrot, 2 peppers, 1/2 kg of green beans, 5 tablespoons of tomatoes with vegetables for soup, salt, 1 bunch of green dill, 3 liters of water, 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Raw celery soup. Ingredients: 1 medium-sized celery root, 1 cup of water, juice of half a lemon, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon of cold-pressed coconut oil (or other cold-pressed oil), 2 tablespoons of cashews ( optional), 1 carrot, ½ chilli, 2 tablespoons of hemp seeds, 2-3 sprigs of parsley, salt to taste.
Enjoy your meal!