Don’t miss a big presentation or an early flight, the harder you focus on sleeping.
If you suffer from insomnia, you are certainly not alone.
According to The Irish Sleep Apnea Trust, insomnia affects between 6 and 15 per cent of the Irish population and one of the biggest causes is ‘sleep anxiety’.
That’s why sleep expert Dr. Andrew Weil emphasizes the importance of closing your eyes, resting, and focusing.
But don’t forget to count sheep – Dr. Weil has invented a breathing technique that, once mastered, puts you to sleep in less than 60 seconds.
The 4-7-8 technique is incredibly simple. The steps are:
1) Exhale completely through your mouth and make a sound.
2) Close your mouth and breathe quietly through your nose.
3) Count your breaths to seven.
4) Open your mouth completely and count to eight.
5) This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three times for a total of four breaths.
This technique is based on the ancient Indian practice of Pranayama, which means breath control, and is widely used in yoga and pilates.
Watch the video below and let us know how you get on via Facebook and Twitter.