Mixed vegetable soup is a good choice for lunch because it is very healthy and easy to make.
Vegetable soup is a very tasty, hearty and healthy dish. Whether you want to prepare something to eat for fasting days, or you want a hearty dish, but it doesn’t affect your diet in any way, pottage it might be one of the most inspired choices. It is very easy to prepare, the list of ingredients can be adapted to your preferences and the nutritional content is extremely beneficial and necessary for the body.
The mixed vegetable soup is ready in about 50-60 minutes. We show you how to make eight servings.
Ingredients for the mixed vegetable soup:
- 150 g of green beans
- 4 – 5 tomatoes
- 4 potatoes
- 2 slices of celery root
- 1 courgette
- 1 carrot
- 1 parsnip
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 large onion
- 3-4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 liter of borsch
- optional: a few bay leaves
Mixed Vegetable Soup Preparation Method:
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Finely chop the onion, carrot, celery, parsnip and peppers, then add them to the pan and cook for about five minutes, then transfer to a large pot.
- Cut the potatoes and pumpkins into cubes, break the pods of the green beans into a few pieces and add them to the pot, then pour three to four liters of water.
- Peel the tomatoes and chop them finely.
- Let it boil for about 30 minutes at the right fire, then add the chopped tomatoes and let it boil for another ten minutes.
- Pour in the borscht, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, then boil it.
- When serving, you can add a bay leaf on top.
Enjoy your meal!
Ingredients needed for vegetable soup
When you want to make vegetable soup, you need to know that it is not mandatory to follow a fixed list of ingredients. In the case of this dish, there are few basic ingredients, but the list of ingredients can be integrated at will. So, if you have favorite vegetables that aren’t on the classic recipe ingredient list, you can add them without worries. Vegetables go very well with each other, the combination of tastes is wonderful. Here are the ingredients for a delicious vegetable soup:
- Onions: A perfect vegetable soup cannot do without onions. Whether you choose red onion, or whether you choose to use yellow or white onion, it has the role of imparting a sweet flavor to the food.
- Bell pepper – it is very important to use bell pepper in the soup. It intensifies the taste of the food and will give it a very pleasant color.
- Root vegetables – carrot, celery and parsnip will help you get the consistency of vegetable soup and full of vitamins. These vegetables are known for the weight at which they lose their nutrients during thermal cooking.
- Potatoes – together with root vegetables, potatoes will give the soup texture and make it thicker. It is important to use white potatoes, especially as they boil in a timely manner and have an easy-to-match taste.
- Tomatoes: For tomatoes, you can use fresh peeled vegetables or tomato juice. This ingredient will give the soup a very pleasant appearance, but also an intense flavor.
- Borscht – to flavor the delicious vegetable soup you can use fresh borscht, but also lemon juice or vinegar, as you like. But be careful if you use sweet and sour tomato juice, as you will have to carefully dose the quantities.
- Oil – a few teaspoons of oil will be needed to sauté the vegetables.
- Greens: Green parsley and chives will go very well in the soup. You can also add dill or thyme if you like them.
- Salt and pepper: they will serve to match the taste of the soup. If you want, you can add any other spices you like.
Optional ingredients for a delicious vegetable soup
The list of ingredients above is ideal for a simple vegetable soup, cooked according to the classic recipe. Even so, in this dish you can add any other vegetables you like, such as:
- Peas – if you like the sweet taste of peas, you can add this ingredient to your soup. It is advisable to use canned peas, already boiled, so that they cook in good time, along with the rest of the vegetables.
- Green beans: Young green or yellow bean pods can also be added to a vegetable soup. They can successfully replace pasta, as they give food density and taste. If you don’t have fresh green beans, you can use canned or frozen green beans.
- Zucchini – is an ingredient that gives a sweet flavor, but also a fine and slightly creamy texture. Zucchini cook very quickly and can be peeled if desired.
- Lentils – if you want your vegetable soup to be thicker with a richer taste, you can also add lentils. If you are using canned lentils, it is advisable to rinse them in a little water before adding them.
- Tarragon – to flavor the soup, you can use a few grams of tarragon. It has a subtle but very pleasant flavor that goes well with vegetables.
- Garlic – for a more pronounced taste of food, you can use a few cloves of garlic that crush and add to the soup when it boils.
- Cream – if you don’t want to make Lenten vegetable soup, you can treat the food with cream. You can also add the well beaten eggs to the cream, so that the soup takes on a more pleasant aspect.
How to make the perfect vegetable soup?
Cooked pottage delicious and healthy, you will need to follow a few simple steps. The cooking time is pretty short, so here’s what you need to do:
- To begin with, all the vegetables will be washed well, stripped of seeds and stems, if any, and cut into suitable cubes.
- In a large pot, for the soup, put two or three teaspoons of oil. The vegetables will be added to it and left to temper for a few minutes. Beware, the vegetables from the basic ingredient list will be added, as the optional ones will be added when the soup boils.
- When the vegetables are well cooked, add cold water, just enough to cover everything.
- When the soup starts to boil, add the tomato juice or very finely chopped tomatoes. This is the time when the food is soured with borscht or lemon juice.
- For a pottage flavored, salt, pepper and your favorite spices will be added one by one.
- Leave the soup on the stove, at medium temperature, for about half an hour or until all the vegetables are well cooked.
- When the delicious vegetable soup is ready, turn off the heat and drain the food. This step is optional. In a large bowl put about 200 milliliters of cream and two well beaten eggs. The mixture is very homogeneous, so a ladle of soup is gradually added. When the cream and egg mixture is hot, add it to the vegetable soup pot.
- At the end, parsley, chives and all the finely chopped vegetables will be added …
Delightful pottage served with fresh bread and chilli.